Monday, April 5, 2010

Urine Good Company

Yesterday I got to talk to my brother JC for a while. He and I can speak for hours at a time. We have a special bond, one that began, and is often fueled, through theatre. JC told me about his plans for this summer, which include an audition for a nontraditional musical. It's dark and a bit freaky, but because it's a musical, the music counteracts that blackness a bit. I told him it sounded a bit like the musical Urinetown, which we watched at the Grand Street Theatre in Helena, MT. (If you're ever in Helena, you have to stop and see a show there.) He said the shows are along the same lines.


What? You haven't heard of Urinetown? You think it sounds a bit juvenile or even gross? To an extent, you're right. But it's HILARIOUS!


Urinetown is about a time when a drought has depleted most of the water supply. Private restrooms are banned by the government. People are only allowed to use public fee-based toilet systems. Anyone who contradicts the system is threatened to be sent to Urinetown (the secret is that Urinetown doesn't exist---the people are just being killed!). Of course, a hero finally emerges to save the people from constant fee-hikes by the overruling body, Urine Good Company. Urinetown fights against nearly every traditional expectation of musicals. Its social-political message can be used as a great argument either for or against a heavy-handed government involvement. It just depends on your angle.
It's a good one.


So, I've realized that I really need to get out and see some theatre. I miss it.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Ewww... gross... you're weird!

On another thought, I'm sure there's a theater around you somewhere! I recently went to go watch Shay Christensen in "A Midsummer Nights Dream". She played Helena. She was really good. I enjoyed it. It reminded me of when I was able to come visit you and watch you perform.