Friday, April 2, 2010

Thrift Store? Really?

Today Josh and I ran a few errands with the kids. The girls love to wear skirts and dresses. They were them all the time. To school, home, church, everywhere. The problem is that they have pretty nice dresses and skirts that aren't quite appropriate for playing in the dirt.

So, I figured I'd be brilliant and buy them about ten new play skirts at one of the local thrift stores. It would only cost me about $10, so it would be the perfect solution.

Yeah, right.

Been to the thrift store lately? I hadn't. Instead of rivalling garage sale prices, the thrift stores are rivalling department store prices. I was floored. For $10 we got two skirts. TWO! We also got them brand new dresses for $10/each. I know we spent twice as much at the department store, but we got full dresses, not skirts. Amazing.

Where are the good old days, huh?

3 comments:

Lori said...

I KNOW!!!! The beginning of this winter, Tyler needed a new coat. I looked at Goodwill and they were almost as much as at Walmart. So I waited a month or so. Then Walmarts prices were cheaper than Goodwill!! I think that's totally backwards.

Merinda Reeder said...

yeah, same! If you have patience with Target's clearance racks, you'll get a better price and nobody else has sweated in it or wiped their noses on it yet. I know, you can wash; but for the same price? I don't think so.

Lucky Larson's said...

Now that Easter is over==RUN to the store on Monday morning and buy your kids Easter dresses/skirts for next year! I LOVE doing this--Easter dresses for 50% off or MORE!!