Saturday, May 23, 2009

'Fess Up Friday

Okay, I know I'm a day late with this again, but you'll have to excuse me. We had a birthday party this afternoon so I had to spend most of Friday preparing for it.

This week was experimental in every aspect. But, you know what every successful experiment needs is a control substance. Something that doesn't change. With all of my experimenting, I had no control substance. Really, it felt like I had no control at all, but that's another story.

I decided to try to alter some of my eating practices: no food after dinner at all, at least four bottles of water each day (waaay more than I usually drink). I decided to go to bed earlier as often as possible. And, I decided to change up my workout.

I did pretty well on the eating and drinking (until this weekend with the four day long birthday celebration for Abby), I slept better (except for the last two nights in trying to prepare for the party--once you see her birthday cake you'll understand better), and in my workouts I discovered something surprising. I thought P90X wasn't working for me. My heartrate didn't seem to get up high enough for an extended period of time. My weight and measurements weren't moving much at all. I just figured it wasn't the right program for me. So, I tried one of my other videos and was shocked at what I found out: I'm stronger and further advanced than my other video challenges me to be. Even when I did an old Power 90 cardio workout, I wasn't challenged enough. So, now I realize that the program is working for me and I need to resume it next week. Go figure. I work out and it actually makes me stronger.

I still ran this week, but my knees are still really bothering me. I love Aleve, though. It's nice. I'm really looking forward to the running becoming something more of a joy, although I really like to run. I'm learning all sorts of things about myself.

These were my shocks and surprises. Thank you, everyone, for all of your support and encouragement. You've really helped me to work through this major hurdle. I'm almost past it, I think. Here's to a better and more productive week!

How'd you do?

5 comments:

Lori said...

So where's the picture of the cake? I'm glad Abby was able to have a good birthday! I'm so glad that you're able to do your workouts so diligently. I tried to do power90 the other week, ok, maybe like a month or two ago, and I could hardly keep up. I'm so not in shape. It's terrible. I keep telling myself that I need to do better, but then other things come up. Mostly to do with the kids. I need to be more like you!

Tara Dawn said...

This week I mostly just walked a lot and ate a lot. But that is what vacationing will do to you!

You may want to look into glucosamine for your knees. I think that's what it's called. It's supposed to be great for your joints. In fact, I should follow my own advice!

My new Slim in 6 just showed up. Tonight will be the official Day 1, Week 1!

Jeri Dawn said...

Hey! I was going to ask you about your running. I've done a little research about it (I tried to run a marathon last year)...and one of the biggest problems people have is going too far too fast. Your joints and muscles aren't accustomed to it. The most common suggestion is to not run until you can comfortably walk fast for 30 minutes, 3 times a week. Then start adding running in slowly...5 minutes of running to 25 of walking. Then 10 of running to 20 of walking. Anyway, good luck. My problem was weak hips...which screwed up my IT Band. But if you can get up to 5 or 6 miles comfortably it's actually a lot of fun.

Celine said...

YAY for you Shelly!
You're rocking this diet! woohoo!

Merinda Reeder said...

I know I know. It's Tuesday. I'm glad Jeri Dawn posted about running. I've moved away from running and onto an elliptical machine because my knees didn't like the running. I might try glucosamine, too.
I hit the gym 5 mornings. I'm fluctuating on the scale between prepregnancy and 5 over.
Maybe you don't need my report, but thanks for hearing it anyway; I need to give it. This week is off to a bad start.