Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Anniversary Countdown Part Quatro

Our Date
Okay, tonight's update was going to be full of details because I kept everything from the Valentine's set up Josh did for me. Unfortunately, I "cleaned" the basement a couple months ago and now I can't find all my keepsakes. That's why my clutter is organized chaos. I can find anything in the clutter. Can't find a dang thing in the organization. Grr!!!
Luckily, my BFF Cindy saved all the emails I sent to her during this time period and I can use them as references. (You're awesome, Cindy!)
Throughout January and into February, Josh and I spent a lot of time together. I lived in Woodland Park, a town on the backside of Pikes Peak, and Josh lived in Divide, another 16 miles up the mountain. He worked at a hardware store in Woodland Park and we'd often meet together for lunch since I worked in Woodland too. He'd come over and spend hours with me at my house before heading home, braving the snow and late hours. It wasn't long until our feelings of marriage turned to talk of marriage. Valentine's Day was quickly approaching, but Josh told me outright that he wasn't going to propose to me then. We knew we wanted to get married, we knew we were going to get married, but we needed a little more time to solidify our friendship. But, I secretly hoped he's ask me anyway.
A few days before Valentines there was a letter in the mailbox with a penciled picture in the likeness of Ed McMann from "The Ted McMinn Valentine's Sweepstake" and the words "You could already be a Winner!" on the envelope. Inside the letter read:
"Dear Miss Shelly Williams,
We at the Ted McMinn Valentine Sweepstakes take much pleasure in informing you that you have already been selected as one of our finalists. It has come to our attention that there are two young men seeking the opportunity to take you out as their special Valentine Date. Both of these young men have agreed to take part in an anonymous Ted McMinn Valentine Competition. In this competition they will do little things to show you their personality, feelings towards you, and to try to win over your affection. To keep it fair, they will be going by code names to let you decide between the two based solely on your reactions to their affectionate deeds -- which must reflect their personalities. They will not be allowed to give you any CURRENT pictures of themselves so that you will have to make your decision based on the heart. After all isn't that the way it is meant to be?
Miss Shelly Williams, by simply accepting their gestures of love, and then making a decision of whom you would like to go on a date with you can win a Special Ted McMinn Valentine Dream Date!!!! It is that simple!!! The competition will commence on February 10, 1999, and conclude on February 14, 1999, at which time you can win and claim your prize simply by making your decision between 'Mr X' and 'Mr ?'. Congratulations and Good luck!
Sincerely,
Ted McMinn"
The first day Mr ? stole my car while I was at work and washed, vacuumed, dusted, and filled it with gas. Mr X gave me a pear with a face on it in a bowl of yellow water and a bag of oatmeal and a note that said, "On the first day of Valentines my true love gave to me Porridge in some Pear Pee."
I can't find the rest of the cards. I remember I got some Hot Wheel cars from Mr X and Mr ? filled my car with balloons. This went on until a strange tall man with dark hair and silly glasses showed up to hand-deliver the final gifts and ask me to choose which man I'd like to date. Mr X's gift was a note that said, "On the fifth day of Valentines my true love gave to me 5 onion rings" and 5 onion rings. Mr ? gave me a note explaining that in the Zulu culture the elephant is revered as sacred and full of strength. It's such a majestic animal that the word for "elephant" is the same word for "queen". I then opened the included gift and it was a small statuette of two elephants sitting together. (It currently sits next to our TV.) So, the strange Ted McMinn guy asked me which man I was going to choose and I wisely chose Mr ?. I was then informed that Mr X was actually Val Kilmer from Hollywood, CA. (Background: I love Val Kilmer. My love for him has waned a bit since he gave me a bunch of crap gifts in 1999, though.) Then I was told that Mr ? was Josh Johnson. Suddenly the strange guy took off his funny glasses and Josh was magically standing in front of me! I mentioned before that Josh took me to dinner that night for Valentines Day. We went to a nice restaurant and he gave me a very beautiful Precious Moment. Go here for that picture if you need a review. I got no proposal that night, but we continued to talk about marriage.
And it was the only date we ever went on.
Stay tuned to find out if he ever proposed...Same Bat time, same Bat channel.

5 comments:

Tara Dawn said...

I remember conversations with him right before Valentine's Day because he was really considering proposing then! I can't believe it's 10 years already! Congrats, you two.

Lori said...

With a guy like that, how could you not fall in love?

colds1 said...

Hey, if you need to reference anything else in the last 10 years, I probably have all those emails saved still too!

Merinda Reeder said...

that's cute. I'd totally avoid men who give gifts including pear pee.

Kayleen said...

You crack me up! I am still waiting on the edge of my seat to see how it turns out!... Happy Anniversary!