Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

Today we spent the late afternoon and evening at Mom and Dad's house with them and my grandparents. I made the comment that with all of our family's involvement with the military and the several members who have actually seen war, everyone has always come home. We've been a very lucky family. Gramma then told me about some of Grampa's close calls. Go to the Williams Family blog for those stories.

I've had the pleasure to know many military veterans, many of whom I'm related to. We've got family records dating back to the Revolutionary War and those family members that served in that war. I will always remember my friend's grandpa who told us of being at Iwo Jima and watching the infamous flag raising in person. Can you imagine?


On September 11, 2007, our college campus had an opportunity to display a memorial to the servicemen and women who have fallen in this most recent Iraq War. There were 3700 crosses each with a picture and information about each soldier. It was overwhelming. I wish the pictures did justice to the sight. It amazes me at how much I owe to those that have fought for my personal freedom. Thank you. Thank you to those that have fallen. Thank you to those that have fought. Thank you to those that have served at home. Thank you to those who allowed their loved ones to leave them so they could perform their duties away from home. I'm so grateful!


5 comments:

Celine said...

Amen to that! :)
I love your new layout Shelly! ^^

Celine said...

Ok, ok, I'll have to take a go at that one:
Your new layout is bee-u-tiful! :)
*gets out the door*

Unknown said...

This is a lovely post. We have our version of memorial day in November and I wish more people took it seriously over here as they do for yours in the States.

Jabon said...

Shelly, very well done post. As Americans, we have incredible freedoms thanks to those who have and currently serve our country.

Lori said...

I totally agree. I'm very thankful for those that have served and those that do. We really do owe our lives and our freedom to them.