Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Movie Trivia

Tonight I'm going to post a game. I've been thinking about this for a while, but in the last two days I've found out about some sad things have happened to people I love. BTW, if you have any extra prayers, please pray on behalf of the brokenhearted. Heavenly Father will know who you mean. So, here's a bit of a pick-me-up.

I've been watching several movies lately (and by watching I mean turning on and playing in the background while I go do a bunch of stuff). So, instead of just telling you about them, I'm going to let you guess which movies they are. I'll give you the quote and you guess the movie. This may end up being really simple because I'm going to use some of my favorite quotes. I'd tell you not to cheat by using Google or imdb.com, but I cheat at this stuff all the time. I hate knowing an answer but not remembering it (does that make any sense?).

Movie Quotes:

1. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

2. What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay.

3. Why do this? //Why not do it? Cause yesterday I walked out of the joint after losing four years of my life and you're cold-decking "Teen Beat" cover boys. Cause the house always wins. Play long enough, you never change the stakes. The house takes you. Unless, when that perfect hand comes along, you bet and you bet big, then you take the house. //Been practicing this speech, haven't you? //Little bit. Did I rush it? Felt I rushed it. //No, it was good, I liked it. The "Teen Beat" thing was harsh.

4. You know, if we're lost, you can tell me. //We're lost. //I can take bad news. Just tell me straight. //I don't know where the hell we are. // No sense takin' time to make it sound better than it is. // I reckon we're goin' in circles. // Wire things up and I'll see right through. So, just tell me honestly. Are we lost? // Nope. I know exactly where we are. //That's good, 'cause, frankly, I was gettin' a little worried.

5. You're the sheriff, aren't you going out there? //Hey, I took my law enforcement course on the internet! For arms training they just told us to play Doom!

6. In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics.

7. He comes on with his big, innocent farm boy routine, but I could see through that in a Peloponnesian minute.

8. Your destiny can be your doom. Look at me and my Rick.

9. As my last surviving descendant, you have a sacred duty to pass on my genetic material. //That's a lovely sentiment.

10. People needn't worry so much. It's not my time yet. This is not how I go.//Really? //Truly. I saw it in the eye. //The old lady by the swamp? //She was a *witch*. //No, she was old and probably senile. //I saw my death in that eye, and this isn't how it happens. //So how does it happen? //Surprise ending. Wouldn't want to ruin it for you.

11. 1879, Lesco, France, dates back to 10 000 BC, singled out because of the flowing lines depicting the movement of the animal. //Impressive. Name? //"Herd of Horses." //I meant yours. //We call her Flicka.

12. Mayo-nayo-naise. Swimming by the sandy shore, dancing up among the waves, dolphin, dolphin I adore everything you are. You're so much more than a fish to me, my playful friend beneath the sea. [making dolphin noise] ee, ee, ee, ee, ee, ee, ee, ee, ee, ee.

13. I hated her, so much... it-it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breath...

14. Oi sir, what are you doing? //Uh... trudging. You know, trudging? [pause] To trudge: the slow, weary, depressing yet determined walk of a man who has nothing left in life except the impulse to simply soldier on. //Uhhh... were you robbed? //[laughs] Funny really, yes, but at the same time a huge resounding no. It's more of an... involuntary vow of poverty... really.

Think you know any of these? Just comment with your guesses. I'll post the answers in a few days.

5 comments:

colds1 said...

Without googling I know I know: 3, 6, 8, 9, and 13 (which is my favorite line from that movie too)

A couple of the others might sound familiar, but my movie viewing is not nearly as well-rounded as yours!

Merinda Reeder said...

What?!? Cindy didn't know 4? Tom Selleck. That's a good quote around here. We get lost a lot.
6 is Ben Stein in a Matthew Broderick film, I think.
8 is Rosie speaking to Meg Ryan. Fabulous line.
13 - That quote is sufficient reason to own the movie. I bought What's up Doc just to see more Madeline Kahn.
14 - I don't know the actor's name, but he plays the doctor in Master and Commander. Here he is Geoffrey Chaucer, the gambling addict.

Others sound familiar.

Great game.

Lori said...

1. ?
2. Anchorman. Ron Burgandy
3. Ocean's Eleven
4. Quigley Down Under
6. I want to say Ferris Beuller
9. The Bachelor
10. Big Fish...?
12. Bedazzled
13. Clue
14. A Knight's Tale

colds1 said...

I figured out #7. You watch that movie often?

colds1 said...

oh and I recognized 4 but since I can't stay awake for Crazy Cora, I couldn't come up with it. That is the SLOWEST movie!