Wednesday, November 17, 2010

#17 I'm Thankful For.....

Some people endure high school.  Like Josh.  High school was not his favorite time of life, I think.  When we go driving through the beautiful highlands lying north of the valley, Josh often points out the lakes and/or ice cream shops that he visited during regularly scheduled school days.

Yesterday Emma was allowed to hang her campaign posters.  She's running for student body president.  I took the kids to school early and we hung the posters before all the good spots were taken.  Funnily enough, the politics of elementary school aren't nearly as cutthroat as they seemed to be in high school.  Anyway, I asked Josh if he ever ran for office in school.  He just kind of looked at me. 

I ran a couple times.  I never won.  But I did successfully help a few of my friends campaign.  I got to be on the student council since I was the Honor Society President.  I served with several of my friends.  My best friends included the FBLA president, the Senior class president, some Sterling Scholars, the Key Club president, Student Body President, various athletes, members of choirs and bands, and (of course) the drama club.  There's more.  I just can't remember it all.

I loved high school.  Obviously.  I was always busy.  A typical day could easily include practices for assemblies, play practice, choir practices, football games, basketball games, voice lessons, student council meetings, NHS meetings, Seminary Council meetings (we had released time LDS seminary and I served on that council as well), homework for my classes (including AP classes), and my 10-hour/week part time job as the "Snack Bar Girl" at a roller skating rink.  And I loved every second of it. 

I had the best friends.  We did so much together and kept each other on track.  I'm not always the easiest person to love.  I know that shocks you, but it's true.  Yet, so many of my friends from 14 years ago are still my friends, despite the fact that I've had 17 different addresses in 4 different states since we graduated. 

And I get to see some of them this weekend -- starting tomorrow night when I land at Cindy's house.  I love that we are taking this trip.  The kids are just as excited as I am.  I think we've all been wanting a chance to get out of the house.  The only bummer is that Josh has to work so he's not coming.  That's really sad.  (I'm going to miss you, Baby!)  But I'm still really looking forward to being with my friends, meeting spouses I haven't met before, watching my kids play with theirs. 

I'm so thankful for my wonderful memories of high school and for my friends that I've been able to keep.

1 comment:

colds1 said...

And I'm thankful that I've known all 17 of those addresses!