Sunday, November 21, 2010

#21 I'm Thankful For.....

I've had a few sappy posts lately.  I think that's what happens when you truly think of the things you are thankful for.  Those that are highest priority also get the most sincerity.

But sometimes the big things overshadow the smaller details.  The little things you love and don't even realize that you do.

A few weeks ago my dad told me a story about my great grandparents.  I think he must have been making his own thankful list because he's become a bit sentimental in the last couple of years.  He told me that he remembered when he was younger and there was talk of building a bathroom onto the house.  That would mean no more outhouse.

It would also mean, according to Grampa Capell, that the whole house would stink.  How could anyone even consider putting a commode inside the house?  It wasn't worth the hassle.  He preferred to fill the hole with dirt and move the outhouse to a new spot when it got stinky.  You can't do that if it's connected to the house.

I never got to meet Grampa Capell in this life.  Probably had a few great conversations with him before I was born and in Heaven.  He sounds like an incredible man and Dad has nothing but loving memories of him.

But I'm thankful for indoor plumbing.

And air freshener.

No comments: