Tuesday, August 2, 2011

#7 30 Day Movie Challenge

#7 A movie that reminds you of a specific event

Ready for entirely too much information?

In 1998, I began writing to Josh while he was on his mission.  He was serving in South Africa, so our letters took about four weeks to reach the other person.  It was a slow beginning to our friendship.  But the last six weeks he was there we were allowed to email to each other.  Nowadays it's not unheard of for a missionary to use email.  Or even Facebook.  But in the olden days getting to email once a week was a big deal.

That started out our courtship.  Josh got off the airplane (after a couple days' worth of travel) and it didn't take long for me to know I was going to marry him.  It was bliss.  I was completely head over heels in love (still am) but I was letting Josh make the first move.  I let him think he was in charge.

We spent everyday together after he got home.  We spent most of Christmas Day and Night together.  And, again, everyday after that. 

Finally, New Years Eve came around.  Josh and I sat cozily by each other on the cold Colorado night as we watched a movie together.  After the movie was over, we stood out on the deck of my parents' home and braved the freezing night air as we watched fireworks explode over Pikes Peak.  It was beautiful, serene, and romantic.

At least it would have been if our parents hadn't been there watching the movie and fireworks with us.  As our moms kissed our dads, Josh and I stood there and awkwardly hugged as midnight struck.  It was going to be our first kiss, but.... yeah.  You get the idea.

So six hours later as I was about to board a plane to visit my friends in Utah, Josh walked me to the gate (yes, you could still do that back then) and there I let him kiss me.  He'll tell you I kissed him, but I was very aware of letting him be the man of the hour. 

I will always associate the movie we watched that night with our first kiss. 

Godzilla




See?  You kinda needed the story to understand why a sub-standard movie like Godzilla would make me think of kissing my husband.  The acting was mediocre, at best.  The plot was fairly predictable, after all there have already been about 60 movies starring the monster.  And I can't even tell you how many times I've watched the movie since, or if I even have.  But it is a fun memory of that night.

3 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

For me the same memory is a double-header.
The Italian Job with Clint's mom, 3 neices, and a nephew. Then they went to bed and we watched The Count of Monte Cristo.
The midnight sky was star-studded and yet we two chickens had a hug... then 1/2 hour later came the kiss.
I had known for a week that I was ready to marry him, too.
See, it is the same memory.

Lucky Larson's said...

you rock!

mine was when Lucas came home his mom invited me to go see Pearl Harbor--We held hands for the first time in over 2 years--- ahh--love those memories

Lucky Larson's said...

you rock!

mine was when Lucas came home his mom invited me to go see Pearl Harbor--We held hands for the first time in over 2 years--- ahh--love those memories