Tuesday, August 2, 2011

#8 30 Day Movie Challenge

#8 A movie you know by heart

Annie



In 1982, Annie came to theaters.  I was five.

And my love of movies began.

Actually, it began a couple years later when Annie came to HBO.  My mom taped it for me.  I watched it over and over and over and over.

I can sing the songs.  I can quote the dialogue.  I can mimic most of the choreography (I've never been much of a dancer). 



I started watching this movie at such a young age that I didn't understand everything that was going on or was being said.  As I got older I'd pick up on new things here and there: Miss Hannigan's "Bonus Iries" she sings about in one of the songs -- took me years to realize she meant "Buenos Aires."  It became fun finding nuances in a movie I had seen hundreds of times before.

I know every bit of this movie.  Wait.  That's a lie.  Someone taped over about 30 seconds of Mom's VHS copy during Annie's dialogue to Daddy Warbucks when she first meets him.  I don't know what they say there.  It's the only part of the movie I can't quote.

Movie synopsis: Orphan girl overcomes adversity and gets adopted by one of the richest men in the world during the Great Depression. 



I've talked about this movie before.  In case you don't remember, Carol Burnett is the most amazing person in the entire world and I've wanted to be Miss Hannigan on Broadway for most of my life.  I also love Albert Finney, Bernadette Peters, and of course, Tim Curry.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I've already mentioned Carol Burnett and Albert Finney on this countdown.


2 comments:

Lucky Larson's said...

great movie--great characters!

Lori said...

Now I want to watch it again. I haven't seen it in a long time.