Wednesday, August 3, 2011

#9 30 Day Movie Challenge

#9 A movie you can dance to

I'm not much of a dancer, but this movie makes me wish I was.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers



This is one of the greatest movies ever.  I remember watching this movie for the first time when I was about five years old and I was fascinated by it. 

A man named Adam goes to town looking for a wife.  Within minutes he casts his eye on a small, lively girl named Milly and he marries her to take her to the backwoods to cook and clean for him and his six brothers.  In a nutshell, there's tons of dancing, singing, and swooning.  Of course, Adam learns he can't just expect his wife to be his cleaning lady.



The choreography in this movie is phenomenal.  Incredible.  Amazing.  Cinematic history. 

I don't even think I'm exaggerating.


And, of course, everyone who watches this has their favorite brother or girl.  My favorite brother was Benjamin.  He had "heavenly eyes and just the right size."  Funny, I also think that of Josh.  I always thought it would be fun to play Dorcus on stage, especially since she pairs up with Benjamin.  And I love the name Milly, so she's one of my favorites too!

This clip is the entire barn raising dance.  It's a bit longer than most of the other clips I've posted, but soooo worth it!




Hollywood can never remake this one, I don't think.  But I'd love to see the original remastered and in widescreen.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Didn't we see this on stage once? I think I remember this, but I could be making it up. You never know. :)

colds1 said...

My favorite is Ephraim. Lousy actor, awesome dancer.

Unknown said...

WE LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Merinda Reeder said...

Gideon.
Now that I'm older, I think Gideon is a bit dorky; but I've always been a sucker for the dorky ones.
We've got a glorious special edition with a making-of documentary.
Of course, we watch it on a 12-inch screen.