Monday, January 26, 2009

A (ahem) Stroller Down Memory Lane

Today we bought Millie a Travel System. If you're unfamiliar with baby items, this is a combination of a stroller and a carrier carseat. We gave our old one away, with everything else baby that we once owned. And it took Josh and me a while to figure out which system we wanted. We chose one that looks a lot like this one:
Isn't it pretty?

Looking at these systems caused me to jog down Memory Lane, imagine that. We used our first travel system until it fell apart. I mean that very literally. We wore it out. We got it for Emma in 2001 and used it through 2003. We moved onto campus to return to school in 2002 and needed a way to carry our little girls around. Campus was too small to drive everywhere, but too big to carry an infant and toddler around. So, naturally, we used our stroller (Abby had outgrown the carseat at 4 months old). But, being poor college students, we couldn't get a double stroller, so we just put both girls in the single stroller. The problem was, Abby was still very young, but a beefy baby. See?

Weebles Wobble, But They Don't Fall Down

So, there wasn't enough room for Emma to sit with her in the seat. So, Emma, who was very petitewould actually sit in the basket underneath the seat--I'll pause for a second while you scroll back up to look at the stroller. She'd climb in from the back of the stroller and sit cross-legged. She was very comfortable, most of the time. Fortunately for her, once she outgrew the basket the whole thing fell apart. I searched through all of my pictures to see if I happened to have captured that sight, but I couldn't find one.

Sometimes I have to wonder, how do college students make it, and then I remember stories like this--you just make it!

7 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

LOL that's quite a juxtaposition (learned that word from Mrs VanDyke thank you very much! Ummmm... did I use it in the right context? Not sure, but I liked using it nonetheless).

Beefy baby and petite toddler. I can just see you poor college students (barely) making your way around campus. I love it!

Cute new travel system btw!

Merinda Reeder said...

I love it! Very cute. Our first travel system came off craigslist for $30. The car seat "expired" right as Lizzy outgrew it and we drove the stroller almost to death before a new one was gifted. Yay for your new system. :)

Jeri Dawn said...

Sierra used to insist on riding in the basket on the bottom of our stroller. Since she was our first (no one to ride up front), I was often getting funny looks from people as I pushed this seemingly empty stroller around town. I just smiled and waved.

Crisanne said...

Isn't making do just fun! I just bought my first double stroller last year. Before that, I would just load up the kids in our very squeaky wagon and make them ride about town with me. People of course)thought they were cute, but they heard us coming for 2 blocks!

Lori said...

I remember you doing that. I thought it was funny. But very GENIUS!! I probably would have never thought of that. I do like the new system though. Very cute and Very Girlie. Has Millie worn her boots yet?

Tara Dawn said...

I wish I saw you do that--I had no idea! That totally made me crack up.

Celine said...

Ooooh I love it! pink and practical? I loves it!