Monday, January 5, 2009

Team Edward vs Team Jacob?


Okay, I'm going to preface this with a spoiler alert. Who knows what word-vomit I may spew from my mouth. If you haven't read the Twilight series or are in the middle of it, you may not want to continue reading. Like I said, I don't know what I'll end up saying.


So, for the last two weeks (yes, Millie is two weeks old today) I've been required to "take it easy." Josh has been taking very good care of me and the doctor gave me some very specific restrictions. So I've done the only thing any 30-something married woman would do (evidentally)--read the Twilight series. I read the first book a few weeks ago when the movie came out because we had a girls' night with a bunch of ladies from church. I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. I think the movie ruined the book for me, though.


Stephanie Meyer does a great job of writing romance, sexual tension and suspence. That first book was exciting to read. Maybe it was just my pregnant hormones, I don't know. Well, Josh didn't mind me reading it! ;o) That may have been too much info. But I imagined Edward to look like Josh, which according to the book description, he doesn't. But that's how I imagined him. Then I saw the movie, which has Edward look the book description (by the way, it's the guy who plays Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter movie) and then I didn't read the second book until after Millie was born. I put the rest of the series off because I was afraid I'd get caught up in the books and then not get ready for Millie or Christmas. I know myself.


Anyway, I just finished the fourth book the other night and realized that I didn't like it. I liked the first three books, but not the fourth one. Anyone else feel that way? I considered the first book a love story that involved a vampire rather than a vampire story. That's fine with me. I'm not into blood and violence. And I loved Jacob in the second book and I totally rooted for him during the rest of the series. Part of my draw to him is probably the fact that he's a big, dark Indian that radiates heat. If you don't know Josh, I've just described him. And as I was reading the rest of the series, I was in bed leaning against the wall (we don't have a headboard, it's on our list of "wants") and the wall was cold and hard. I didn't find any comfort in it.


So, according to my limited local research, I'm the only woman in the world that wasn't in love with Edward. Maybe it was because the movie images ruined my imagined images. Maybe it was that I identified with Jacob more. Maybe it was because I didn't feel that Bella would get to progress with an immortal vampire. Maybe it was that I had a few weeks' break between the first book and the rest of the series. I don't know. But I knew the fourth book revolved around the idea of the youngest character, and I was hoping that character would be tied to Jacob in a less cop-out manner. And, Josh thought it was a very anti-climatic ending. He was disappointed.


And, according to the "Who is your REAL Twilight boy?" quiz on Facebook, my Twilight boy is Jacob. Big surprise.


Overall, there were good and bad reactions to this series. I think I'm disappointed that I spent several days reading a book that I was somewhat let down by. Or maybe I'm upset that I've become a "Twilight-Mom". The biggest thing that always happens when I finish reading a series like this is that it gets me itching to write -- someday I'm going to sit down and write the novels welling up in my mind. Yeah, this blogging stuff is nothing compared to what I'd like to write. I'm sure that's hard to imagine!
Oh, and this whole "Team Edward", "Team Jacob" thing? We saw shirts in the window at Hot Topic with these sayings on them. I don't really get the whole "Team" thing. But, I thought it made an interesting title.

5 comments:

colds1 said...

This post made me laugh. I've only read the first book so far and I preferred the vampire part of the story to the romance part! I thought she didn't develop the romance enough! I guess my pregnancy hormones weren't working in Kevin's favor!! I haven't seen any Harry Potter stuff, but I did see the Edward dude on Leno and it gave me NO desire to see the movie!

Tara Dawn said...

I agree with Cindy. I thought the romance stuff was kinda cheesy in the first book. And I was also pregnant when I read these books. What I liked in the last book was the scene against the Volturi. But I agree with you about how pathetic the whole "Team" thing is. I was also disappointed in the movie and the actors they chose for the characters. They just couldn't live up to my idea of what Bella and Edward looked like. Have you read her other book, The Host? I'm in it right now and am really liking it!

Celine said...

Hmmm...I'm about to read the series before watching the movie so I'll let you know what I thought of it.
Thanks for sharing your opinion Shelly! :)

Tara Bennett said...

I'm Team Jacob. But in the movie he's not cute at all. The book makes him *hot* and it's just more logical for Bella to choose Jacob over Edward, but Bella is not logical. And really what IS logical about vampires and wherewolves? Hmmmmm... that is exactly why I was done after the 1st book. It was just a little too out there and I decided I was done wasting my time on the nonsense, but I did love the movie.

Wow TMI!

Crisanne said...

I had to laugh at this post too! I was rebelling and wouldn't read the books for the longest time just because everyone else was. So, finally read them, thought #1 was ok, #2 was just way too emotional that it was annoying, #3 a little better but the fight scenes at the end... pathetic, #4 I just wanted it to be done and over with! Wow, as I look back over this I'm realizing I wasted a lot of time on these books! Still haven't seen the movie because, well, everyone else is, so I just won't! Gee whiz, I just may have a bit of an attitude!