Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Okay, I have no idea how many "Mad"s go into that movie title and I've never seen it, but I think it has something to do with zaniness-madness rather than anger-madness, but I'm focusing on anger. I think I'm allowed to put off my loveable self every so often.

First, we took the kids to a movie today. At least we tried to. A few weeks ago Josh got discount movie tickets from work so we could take Peter and Genica to a movie before they moved away. The problem was, we wanted to see Bedtime Stories, but our discount tickets were not valid for features out less than 12 days. So, we did something else with Pete and Genica and saved the tickets for another time. We decided to try to use them today since the movie is more than 12 days old now, but the theater was messed up and the sound wasn't working on our screen, so we got a refund and will hopefully get to go see it some other time. You try explaining to a 7-, 6-, and 4-year-old that they can't stay in their theater seat to see the movie they really, really want to see. I was not a happy camper.

Something else that is angering me is the limited conversations I now have with my children. My usual comments to them generally sound like this:

Leave Millie alone, please
Get away from her
Will you just let her sleep, please?
Stop rubbing her head like that
She just fell asleep!
Stop forcing her pacifier into her mouth
Keep your toy car off her head
Are your hands clean?

It's like Millie is the new toy that the big kids can't keep their hands off of.

It reminds me of Tommy Boy: "I'm like Jojo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. Hello there pretty little pet, I love you. And then I stoke it, and I pet it, and I massage it. Hehe I love it, I love my little naughty pet, you're naughty." I'm going to stop the quote there because I don't want to think of my older children mauling Millie to the point of ripping her to shreds. But they get pretty darn close sometimes. Ugh. I'm glad they love her, but not while she's sleeping!

5 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

Darn the movie theater!

I heard Bedtime Stories was great. How do you and Josh get to the theater with 4 little ones? You amaze me.

Any post with Tommy Boy quotes in it gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me!

Lori said...

Bedtime stories was really cute!! It's one for sure that we are going to buy so the boys can see it. If we weren't so cheap, we'd take them too.

It's so great the your kids are so loveable with Millie. It's so much better then being resentful. Just remember that the more they love her now, the more they love her later. And she them. Keeping the no touching while sleeping rule in place. That way mom doesn't want to throw her other children out the front door. :)

colds1 said...

I do like that part in Tommy Boy (although my favorite line is "Fat guy in a little coat" which is what I feel like in most of my clothes these days), but I think of that monster on Bugs Bunny, which is actually a take off of "Of Mice and Men" . . . "I'll hug him and kiss him and call him George."

I'm sorry the kids don't understand the importance of sleep! Have any gags and straight jackets?

Jeri Dawn said...

Ha ha. I can't believe you've never seen "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World." Old or new? I grew up on that movie. It's long!

Tara Dawn said...

That's funny you mention Tommy Boy, because Jabon and I just watched that earlier this week.
I can sympathize with you about the kids. I felt like a big, mean, grumpy person for the first little while. Finally the boys settled down, as I'm sure yours will.