Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Elvis



Today is Elvis' birthday. I didn't remember until I saw some Memory-Lane shows on TV. But it did remind me of my fascination with him.

When I was little (like kindergarten) I remembered hearing the rumors that Elvis was still alive and hiding somewhere. Well, my dad had dark hair and he liked to sing Elvis' songs. So, naturally, I was convinced that my dad was Elvis in disguise. (Wouldn't that have been awesome? Money problems, Schmoney problems!)

A couple years later I realized that I had been a bit silly, especially when I realized the age difference between the superstar and my father. Elvis and my grandmother (Gramma) went to the same high school in Memphis, but she was a few years older than him, so he wasn't in any of her yearbooks. I got past the idea of Dad being Elvis and then my crush on Elvis began.

In high school I made an idiot of myself. I know, all of you that knew me then are thinking, "Which time?" For those of you that didn't know me then, I was a bit...boisterous in high school. In choir one day we were talking about Elvis. I don't remember why. But, I was not sitting in my seat like I was supposed to be (surprise, surprise) and when the choir teacher asked why so many people love Elvis, I volunteered an answer. The problem was that as I was answering, I was running back to my chair so I wouldn't get in trouble and I bounced on the seat and it made me emphasize my statement more than I intended. So, when the teacher asked why so many people love Elvis I yelled out, "Because he's SOOO fine!" bouncing into my seat on the word "so." Does that make any sense? I'm sure everyone thought I was just being way loud, but truthfully, my haste to avoid punishment bounced the answer out of me a bit louder than anticipated. Like I said, a bit boisterous.

If I knew how to put songs on my blog I'd totally fill your head with Elvis this evening. Love Me Tender was the first movie I ever cried during. My children rock out to Little Less Conversation. And I own a set of Elvis trading cards that my grandparents brought back from Memphis when they went to visit my great aunt once.

Happy birthday, Elvis.

4 comments:

Celine said...

Ah! Elvis...he sure was handsome and so talented!
My brother just recently developped a fascination for Elvis : he just loves the guy!
I think he's awesome as well.
Happy birthday Elvis!

Merinda Reeder said...

And every time Elvis comes up in conversation, I try to precisely mimic your exact phrasing and cadence as I say, "because he's Soooo fine".
I think you said that in Madres, not concert choir; but I heard about it in the hallways afterwards.
:)
Happy Birthday Elvis.

Tara Dawn said...

I remember wanting to marry Elvis for the longest time and I cried sooo hard when Dad told me he was dead. It truly broke my heart. I think every time Cody thinks of Elvis he thinks of Peter and the skit of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for church!

Jabon said...

Elvis... who? Never heard of this guy... :)