Sunday, February 8, 2009

Battle Hymn

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "Choose your battles." I did this today. I thought I was pretty much Supergirl this morning. But...

Church now starts at 9am. Josh got home a little after 7am from his shift at work and went to bed because he needed to sleep off the headcold that's beginning. This left me to get four children and myself ready for church in less than two hours. Luckily, the kids all bathed the night before and the three older kids are big enough to do a lot for themselves. I helped Matt pick out his clothes while Emma and Abby took care of themselves. I helped the girls do their hair, got myself ready, got Millie ready and even nursed her right before heading out the door so she'd sit through the block of meetings easier. I asked the girls to get their tights and shoes on and here is where the battle could've happened.

Imagine with me, if you will. Abby was wearing this very cute, pink cotton sundress. Because it's a sundress and spaghetti straps, she also had to wear a pink half-jacket to cover her arms. She looked very cute. I expected her to wear one of her two pairs of white tights, but this is Abby we're talking about. As we were about to leave the house I noticed which pair Abby was wearing. With her pink cotton sundress, Abby was sporting BLACK tights and her WHITE, open-toed sandals. Oh, heavens!!

As I said, I decided to choose my battle, and this was one battle I decided to bypass for a few reasons. First, I didn't want to be late for church. Second, it's Abby. I have plenty of battles to choose from. So we went to church and I hoped that if anyone was going to judge me, it would be because I got my four children and myself to church on time all by myself and not because of our lack of fashion sense.

4 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

I hate that! I often look the other way on Sundays when Jasper's whole ensemble is wrinkled, or he has toothpaste on his tie. Hey, at least its proof he brushed his teeth. I'm starting to loathe Sundays, and we only have two kids we're getting ready. Mostly because my baby Jackson hates our new church time at 11 and is usually screaming by sacrament although he has a full stomach. And this is just my first child, so much to look forward to, right?

Lori said...

My philosophy... who cares what your kids look like. All that matters is that they are fed, dressed and sitting in the pew!!!

Merinda Reeder said...

Good girl. Lizzy wanted her red snowman tights on Sunday with her pink and black dress. Luckily I found a pair that was sufficiently interesting to her tastes and still matched. Right now, of course, I just have one and I can battle over tights... some day I'm sure she'll win without a fight.

Tara Dawn said...

I think other people look at that as if it's such a wonderful thing that her mom let her dress herself. Plus, like you said, it's Abby. I am the exact same way with Brett! Sometimes, it's just not worth it!!