Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Want My MTV!

Today as I was running some errands, I stopped in the UPS Store and on the radio came the song "Cherry Pie"by the 80s-90s rock band Warrant. It reminded me of life once upon a time.

While I lived in Idaho I watched MTV every time I went to my friend Amy's house. This was for a couple reasons. Number 1: My parents would never let me watch MTV at our house. Number 2: The radio stations around there were all either country or light rock, neither of those genres I'd willingly listen to. The one station that claimed to be a rock station mostly played light rock (Richard Marks, Bryan Adams) or Def Leppard. Why they played Def Leppard, I don't know. It's not that they have bad music, I often find myself singing along when I hear them, but DL was a bit harder than what the station usually played. They didn't play anything else, though, so to listen to the rock music that was popular, we had to watch MTV to listen to what we liked.

Of course, this was YEARS ago, when MTV played music videos. So long ago.




We watched all of our favorite bands: Warrant, Poison, Mr Big, Winger, Nelson, just about any band with shirtless men whose hair is longer than most women's.




We never watched VH-1, though. VH-1 only showed videos that old people liked. Now if I want to see any of the videos we used to watch, the only place to find them is VH-1! I'm old! I can still find Bret Michaels on MTV, but as an old guy looking for a questionable woman to date. What happened, MTV? Where did it all go wrong? I miss Kurt Loder.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I have no idea who some of those names are!!! If I heard their songs, maybe I would know them. I'm not so good with names.

Terri said...

Shelly, I think I'm getting to see a side of you that doesn't show right off the bat. Do you have a little "rebel streak" in you?!

Tara Bennett said...

Aaaah the good ol days. Now it's just full of trashy reality TV. Oh, don't get me wrong - I watch it and love it - but it's nothing like back when. I want my MTV back too!!!