Sunday, February 1, 2009

Millie's Blessing Day

Today Millie was blessed by her daddy at church. There are so many things running through my heart.
Millie on her Blessing Day



Emma, Millie, Abby, Matt

First, I'm so grateful for the Priesthood, the Power of God, that Josh holds and that my dad was able to be there to assist. Millie was given a name and a blessing and within that blessing she was given the opportunity for so many great things. One thing that she was promised was the desire to learn and work on her genealogy. I thought it was appropriate to show a picture of her Great-Grandmother Mildred Johnson, since I'm sure she'll be learning a bit about her.
Grandma Mildred Johnson and Uncle Matt


I met Mildred when Josh and I got married. We have a favorite quote from her. She wore this fantastic white, feathery jacket to the temple and my friend Cindy was video taping the goings-on after the ceremony. We all were walking around to the back of the temple for pictures. When Cindy called out to Grandma to say hi to the camera, she called back, "Hellllooo...it's me!" Josh and I say that all the time. It's one of my few memories of her.

Our grandparents at our wedding: Gramma and Grampa Williams, Josh and me, Grandpa Bob Small, Grandma Pearl Haskin, and Grandma Johnson

Also, Millie's middle name is Marie, after my Great-Grandmother Opal Marie Shaffer Bailey. I'm really looking forward to learning more about these two women and especially for Millie to learn more about them.

I'm also so grateful that Millie has been so healthy so far in her life. Having one child with health issues has really opened my eyes to how fragile life really is and how truly blessed we are when the hospital is not our second home. All three of our girls are beautiful and their health is something that I no longer take for granted. Of course, Matt is our handsome man and as far as I'm concerned, he's the only one of the kids with the right kind of temperament for the challenges that he's experienced and will continue to face. Funny how that works. Well, I guess it's not funny since our Heavenly Father knows us so well.

Anyway, this has been a good day and I love that Millie wore the same dress Emma did on her blessing day. It's one of the few things I kept from the girls' clothes.

Emma on her blessing day, June 2001. (Ignore the bear, I had to scan this off a scrapbook page.)

4 comments:

Lori said...

That's so great Shelly!! I love the way things work. Our Father knows us all VERY well!! I'm sorry we were not able to be there.:( But I love you!! :)

Tara Dawn said...

Cute, cute pictures. I'm glad her blessing day was wonderful. We hope to meet her before she starts getting too big!

Celine said...

Awww what great pictures Shelly!
Thanks for sharing them with us!

Tara Bennett said...

Oh what a beautiful girl! She and Emma look lovely in that dress!

I am so loving the Grandma Johnson quote. I've said it to Chloe about four times since I read it.

Oh my heck I loved your wedding! Road trip to Colorado with Corey, Clay and Jamie. It was truly a trip to remember! Oh yeah, and to celebrate your happy day too. ;o)